Expatriot Act

The university of these days is a collection of books.

20 July 2006

Pittsburgh Pics pt 1

I have access to my server again (although my email is still pretty wonky, FYI) but I managed to get my pictures from Pittsburgh up. I was there for about 5 days for my first on-campus session of my FastTrack MLIS program at University of Pittsburgh, and although I'm a little too tired now to write in great detail, I had a fantastic time and met some really inspiring, smart, funny, steel-livered people. I wish I took more pictures (particularly at the Adam Arcuragi show at this awesome venue called The Brillo Box, and some more candids) but we do have some worth sharing.

These pictures are from our tour of the Nationality Rooms at The Cathedral of Learning. They were all really cool, and it makes me a little jealous that I can't have classes in these amazingly beautiful rooms like the Pitt kids can. Each room has a hidden blackboard and all sorts of neat little historical tidbits built into each room. I took pics of my favorite rooms, of which there were many.



Some of my favorite fellow Cohort members in the German Room:Katie, Mark,Courtney,and Justin. Don't they look incredibly interested in the tour?? Haha... But seriously, in my utopia all classrooms would look like this.




The English Room, modelled after the British House of Commons.




Love the Hungarian Room! Here's more:



There's my boy Franz Liszt. I'm pretty sure that's Vlad the Impaler on the left, or at least Vlad the Impersonator.




The Norweigan Room



The front of the Norweigan Room. Our tour guide was very animated, hence the blur.




Ukranian Room represent.




Sadly the Syria/Lebanon Room is the only room we weren't allowed into. Ironic?




The Early American Room was incredible, it was modelled on The House of Seven Gables. The downstairs portion was a colonial house with a walk-in fireplace, then there was a secret passageway to an upstairs bedroom, pictured above. Also there are stories that it's haunted! It's like An American Haunting without the suck.




This is the Austrian room. They had a really cool crystal necklace that I unsuccessfully attempted to heist. Pictured on the right there is my professor Dr. Sue Alman and our tireless, soon-to-be-graduate assistant Maria.



Israeli's room was really cool and one of the newer rooms, most were built around WWII.

That concludes this part of the tour. Next time, the Warhol Museum!

6 Comments:

Blogger Just another Sample said...

Great pictures with one exception...My inclusion.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'm just sad I didn't get a picture of your coffee.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Just another Sample said...

Damn, I almost forgot about my traveling coffee. Poor, poor coffee...

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally with Justin on the pictures. But they came out really well! I, too, would have liked to see a picture of the coffee. That coffee sure got around...skanky!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Just another Sample said...

That coffee had game...

10:35 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Coffee's got ho's in different area codes

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home