Expatriot Act

The university of these days is a collection of books.

13 September 2006

"Brilliant!!"



Last night was our first meeting of the Ulysses reading group. It went so well! I expected most of the first meeting to be awkward silence, or one or two blowhards trampling everyone else, but it went really well and everyone got words in and we covered a lot of ground. It really was the best scenario I could have imagined, you never know what strangers are going to be like, especially with something as personal as the way you read or interpret a book. Everyone seems smart and I think as we read more we'll have even more to say. Also I drank my first Guinness! (and my second...) I don't know why I was so scared of it before, it's actually pretty easy to drink. After some persuasion Justin says he'll kindly write me a few paragraphs about the Irish conflict around the turn of the century for the group blog. I had fun, and thanks to last night's group meeting and a long walk home in last night's fantastic weather, I woke up feeling refreshed...although I still wanted to stay in bed and cuddle the cat. Maybe Saturday!

=========

Am I ever the busy beaver this week! Tonight I had to cancel on my work's charity Quizzo to do work (I'm meeting Christian at Chapterhouse to work, definitely my new haunt, practically been setting up residence there lately.) I have like 3 or 4 assignments due tomorrow that I've done general work on but haven't really started (eep.) and my KDU project involves a lot of legwork, so I'm running around a lot for that (it actually reminds me of my reporter days, which is a bit of a rush). So my week is shaping up to look something like this:

Thursday - possibly going to Temple's library after work to meet Justin and get a hang of the programs they use and such, since I've never worked in a library before, and maybe meet their music librarian, he tells me. If not Thursday night then definitely Sunday.

Friday - dancin' til the breaka breaka dawn.

Saturday - probably lots of school work and going to the movies

Sunday - either a reschedule of my Temple visit or more work

Monday - visit with the UArts music librarian right after work

I would also like to get to KDU sometime next week, inspect the record library, take pictures, etc. I'm getting a lot of good responses from the DJs which makes me happy. I just hope I can keep up the momentum! Especially now that my actual paying job is ramping up again, I've been pretty busy this week at work and they want me to give a big presentation probably sometime next week. I just keep thinking of Kevin MacDonald from Kids in the Hall saying "Things to do, things to do..."

But I definitely am in much better spirits, at least. I love the fall!

10 Comments:

Blogger Burntdisk said...

As I'm currently copying files at work while writing the three assignments, I can feel ya on this one. I decided to do a fictitious library, and now I'm kinda regretting it (though it's fun, too). Haven't event started on the scan or the managerial theory thing (I got big brother guy from what I've seen so far. sigh.) Do envy you the Guinness, though.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Just another Sample said...

I'm with you two! It's been a long week at work for me as well, and I have been working at night to get all the school stuff done. YaY! Boo!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Aww you're still up too? Aren't we a couple of suckers. My org description kicks ass though. Guess I'll have to write my enviro scan at work tomorrow. Should be easy though. Spent entirely too long on the Managerial Theorist crap.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

By the way BillFee, your cataloguing of the giant Pitt pigeons on the board was hilarious!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Burntdisk said...

I was going to catalog a pimple on my ass, but thought somebody might get offended. But thanks.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'm not a for-real librarian yet, but wouldn't the pimple on your ass use MeSH?

God I'm a nerd.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Burntdisk said...

I was thinking of the history. United States -- Pennsylvania -- Central Pennsylvania -- Harrisburg -- Dermatological Conditions -- Gluteus Maximus -- right center

10:34 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

So I guess this is a chronic problem then?

Just please, for the love of god, don't do an oral history. No one wants to hear that ;)

10:44 AM  
Blogger Burntdisk said...

But everyone ELSE is doing an "oral history" (gee, why doen't anyone switch up and do an anal history, or an intravenous history?) And yes, I would jump off that cliff

12:45 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Haha I guess what I was talking about was an anal history, because it would be you interviewing the pimple on your ass.

Man, this coffee is not working. It's bedtime for Bonzo over here.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home