Expatriot Act

The university of these days is a collection of books.

21 March 2008

Of Scents and Peppermints

Oh how I've been neglecting you, little blog.

Still no real time to update, but I figured I'd mention two little things.

My coworker just showed me this perfume website where I realize that some company made the scent I've always wanted...old book smell.

In the Library

English Novel taken from a Signed First Edition of one of my very favorite novels, Russian & Moroccan leather bindings, worn cloth and a hint of wood polish

The Story

I love books, particularly old ones. I cannot pass a second hand bookshop and rarely come away without at least one additional volume. I now have quite a collection…
Whenever I read, the start of the journey is always opening the book and breathing deeply. Don’t you find there are few things more wonderful than the smell of a much-loved book? Newly printed books certainly smell very different from older ones. The ink is so crisp. I’ve also noticed that books from different periods & different countries also have very different smells. And then there are the scents of different bindings: leather is marvelous of course but I find a peculiar pleasure in musty worn clothbound books as well. Perhaps just a hint of mildew…
The main note in this scent was copied from one of my favorite books – I happened to find a signed first edition of this novel a few years ago in London. I was more than a little excited because there were only ever a hundred in the first place!


I could have very well written this description, now I just have got to smell this stuff. This'll be on my must-investigate list for sure. I wonder if it'd smell good on a person though? If it'd be charming to smell like a musty old book? If not I'd just spritz it around my house! Mmmm.

Speaking of house, my housemate Adam Arcuragi's new EP is available to stream free online, check it out, it's really lovely.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home