Expatriot Act

The university of these days is a collection of books.

26 July 2006

If You're Feelin' All In, Take some Aspirin

What are the odds?!

I had so much work to do today at work, and I should also be spending the day preparing my final discussion posts for class (which is the last thing I had to do this term). I go to work all dolled up in a cute outfit (had a date with the bf planned tonight) and what happens? I'm on the phone with a coworker and I'm trying to read something off of the computer screen and I mention, "Geez I can barely see for some reason! The lights are all flashy." Then I go about my business and went to tell my old boss about the funny email asking me whether I preferred egg salad or tuna salad as my vegan option for a business lunch (one guess!) and I noticed, geez, those lights still are a-flashin'. He thrusts a handful of ibruprofen in my hand and tells me to go put my sunglasses on because I'm in for it now. In for what?

My first ever migraine! Am I a grad student now or what?!



I sorta felt like Jeanne Moreau in Elevator to the Gallows, disoriented, wandering the streets of Paris  Philadelphia, accidentally running into a dude who called me "baby," until I finally found a cab and made it home. It was the first ever time I slept with sunglasses on. I slept for a long time but I still doesn't feel quite right to be looking at the computer screen, so I'm going to rely on Justin to let me know when the full discussion board assignments are up and what I'm supposed to do about them. I wish I had the presence of mind to hit the ATM before I came home (although I should just be thankful that I didn't get hit by a truck) because now I'm famished and only have $10. I'll call Scott and we'll get chinese food and hopefully I'll feel a little less disoriented. Speaking of, there's that thud again...I should get off of this thing.

At least Elevator to the Gallows is on. Nothing like French film noir to gleefully darken a day when you wish you could extinguish the sun.

10 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

I didn't get migraines until I started teaching; they're one of the few things in this world I would classify as "bad times."

Hope you're feeling better!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Just another Sample said...

Oh no, someones depending on me...

4:47 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Sorry about your migraine!
I loved the lamp from your previous post and the fuzzy, leopard computer monitor!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Beth Kindelberger said...

Hope it's not too late - but Chinese always makes them worse for me.

The best thing about pregnancy - the migraines stopped. Almost makes me want to do it again. Almost.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

The chinese was a help, as was a lot of sleep followed by caffeine. Unfortunately I think it will be pretty hard to sleep tonight.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

. . . or some Paracetonol.

I just read your post, and I hope you're better, as well. I've never had a migraine, but my Jeff sometimes gets them when he's drinking. (If that were me, I'd be in the ER every Friday--"Christ, Doc, it happened again!")

I used to have the soundtrack album for that film--Miles Davis, fantastic! I've always seen the title translated as "Lift to the Scaffold" which I like a bit better.

By the way, I'm glad Scott liked the book. Tell him "hey" for me.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

That should read "my friend, Jeff". Unless, of course there's some Freudian thing there that I don't know about.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lola said...

I'm sure you're cured by now, but I was going to say that obscene amounts of caffeine kill my migraines.

I also forgot that you had mentioned in your intro. that you are vegan.

I'm sure you have seen it, but I'm addicted to Vegan Lunch Box. http://www.veganlunchbox.blogspot.com.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I LOVE vegan lunchbox! It's so cute. I hope someday I'll be an awesome mom like that.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

BTW Mark I'm glad someone got the Go4 reference

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home