Expatriot Act

The university of these days is a collection of books.

19 September 2006

WKDU Project Notes: First exec meeting

Tonight I went down to WKDU for the first time in probably two years (since I graduated undergrad). I felt like a bit of an olde lady at first (most of the execs are not old enough to drink, and the two positions I held there - publications director and public affairs director - don't exist anymore!) but mostly things are very much the same. The exec staff seems a bit more laid back and open to suggestion than some previous administrations (maybe they were a bit intimidated by me because I'm a scary olde lady now). One of the biggest differences is the addition of the faculty advisor, who is much more hands on about things than previous ones, actually has a great deal of radio experience and connections, and is using them to promote and improve KDU in some tangible ways. He gave me the name of a sympathetic Drexel librarian who might be of help to me, so I have an action plan and WKDU's blessing to continue poking around for more info. So far, so good.

I also got to take a bunch of pictures, I figured they'd be useful, and also that some of you who've been reading this might wonder what it's like down there. There are lots of fun things to take pictures of in KDU (including a full Risk-style war scene with army men and barracks glued to the ceiling), but since my camera only holds about 10 pics I had to stick to the library-related stuff.

One row in the record library. Note the letters for filing in alphabetical order.


Imagine trying to find a record when faced with hundreds of shelves that look like this.


WKDU's record library, long view. Note the CDs are creeping in on the records' territory.


This reminds me of the cinematic masterpiece Party Girl "That's OK everybody, let's just put things back WHEREVER WE WANT!!"


Standing on this rickety ladder brought back a lot of memories. Mostly of getting vertigo when looking in the "B" section and desperately hoping I didn't break my neck. When you're underground in a locked radio station, no one can hear you scream...


Part of the CD library at WKDU. That is not a ghost on the right, it is a trashbag. The roof has been leaking!


Crates of CDs waiting to be filed, like orphans looking for a home.


KDU deters thieves upon penalty of DEATH. There is another sign somewhere that illustrates the exact way that your hands will be cut off if you're caught. Don't go down that road, kids, and stay in school!


One of the not-so-gently loved records in the library, Black Flag's (here ironically titled) Damaged.


A close up of the tag. Originally I took this shot because I thought it was funny. It reads, "Black Flag Damaged - it really is! 12/1/81." Then I realized, this record was added to the WKDU library on the exact day and year of my birth! It looks like it's been through a war. My war! Har har I'm not funny.

9 Comments:

Blogger Burntdisk said...

Wow. I was still picturing the WYSC library and their problems until I saw these. This place has them all beat to piss. Good luck on this one.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

The faculty advisor to me: "This sounds like it's going to take a long time."

Me: "You have NO idea."

9:55 AM  
Blogger Burntdisk said...

Have you thought about adapting any of the record cataloging programs out there, such as the CDDB records. Might be able to map them across to MARC, or just get rid of the dinosaur and go with something likeDC.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Holy acronym Batman! Speak American!!

I am open to suggestion, so if you know of some programs that I can use I'm all ears. But we don't want to put what we have in the collection out there to the world, we just want to know and be able to search for ourselves, possibly using outside systems to help get info about our titles.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Burntdisk said...

Just an example. Stands for Compact Disc DataBase. It's the thing your player connects to to auto-identify a CD. Here's the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB

This probably wouldn't work for you, since you have so much vinyl, but if you could find something like it that's manually searchable, it would save you a lot of time.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Here's where my lack of library experience may shine!

You definitely want the catalog, and I know you're working on that. But given the size and shape of the jackets, you can't really put labels with call numbers or anything on them. So in addition to the catalog, you might want to consider a locator system. There are numerous programs out there which are being used by warehouses that can tell you that X album is on shelf 14 section b.

That functionablilty might be available in an OPAC, but I've never seen anything more definitive than a call number.

Just a thought.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Burntdisk said...

RFID would work fairly cheaply, and would input into the system like a barcode. Even the Vatican's doing it.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I've been thinking about RFID, but I'm wondering, can it also be used for security purposes? And if so, how much does it cost to buy and maintain those beepy things? I would think they're rather expensive.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Burntdisk said...

You could use it for security. It would be kind of expensive, though. 'course, you have to weight that against how much of the collection walks. I recommend putting in electric grids so that if they try to walk out with one you find them twitching on the floor.

Simple locator- beeps when you get near the item, maybe a screen to show you which way to walk, shouldn't be too bad.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home